1. Set an iMessage Group Chat's Name and Photo
You can give your group chat a name to provide a context for members and make it easily searchable among other message threads.
To do this, open the main window of the group chat in the Messages app, then:
- Tap on the avatar icons at the top.
- Hit the Information (i) button from the expanded menu.
- Now, tap on the Change Name and Photo option, and enter a new name for the group chat.
2. Pin Group Chats at the Top of Messages
After setting a group name and photo, you can identify the group easily. However, you still have to scroll or search for that conversation to find it.
3. Use Inline Replies and Reactions in iMessage Group Chats
In Messages, you can now reply to someone's text for better context in the conversation. To do this, in a group chat, press and hold the message you want to reply to.
If you have an iPhone XS or older, apply mild pressure on the screen to activate 3D Touch. The iPhone XR, 11 series, and newer instead support Haptic Touch, which means you simply have to long-press the message.
4. Mention or Tag Someone in a Group Chat
You can mention other members in a iMessage group chat, just like other chat apps like WhatsApp and Telegram. To do so, open the group chat where you want to mention one of the members. Then:
- While composing a message, type the person's name (first or last) in the text box, and their name will appear in gray by default.
- Tap on their name, and a small popup card will open with their name and picture in it.
- Tap on the card, then their name will give a shimmer and turn into blue color.
5. Mute All Group Notifications Except Mentions
When group conversations are hyperactive or overbearing, you may want to disable all notifications. Constant pings are distracting, but you don't want to miss alerts that mention you.
Thankfully, you can mute all the notifications for group chats while still getting notified when someone mentions (tags) you. Here's what you need to do:
- With the group chat open you want to tweak, tap the arrow symbol under the avatars at the top.
- Tap on Info and scroll down to the Hide Alerts option.
- Flick the toggle on for it.
Now, you'll get a notification only when someone mentions you in that particular group chat